The Art of Revision
In the writing process, revision is one of the most critical steps of academic writing. When you revise, you find and correct problems with content; in other words, you change the ideas in your writing to make them clearer, stronger and more coherent.
Revision is an art and a craft. Listed below are four questions to ask during the revision stage of the writing process to help you strengthen your academic documents.
1. What needs to be ADDED?
· What needs to be added to clarify ideas for the reader and ensure that the purpose of the document is achieved?
2. What needs to be REMOVED?
· Where is information repeated unnecessarily or unintentionally?
3. What needs to be MOVED?
· What information needs to be shifted and/or rearranged to improve the flow and organization of ideas for maximum understanding?
4. What needs to be SUBSTITUTED?
· What words and information need to be replaced to ensure a clear expression of ideas?
As you develop as a scholar, commit to mastering the art and craft of revision.
Until next week, Happy Writing!!!
Dr. V Writing Coach-Editor-Speaker Author of I'm Not a Writer...I am Just in Graduate School (order your copy at https://www.amazon.com/Not-Writer-Just-Graduate-School/dp/1533392919)
Available in hard copy and on Kindle